Tips: How to stay cool in the Summer Heat
Tips: How to stay cool in the summer heat
In the construction business, with our workers outside all day in the blazing heat, it can be quite hard to stay cool. The last thing we want to see is people becoming dehydrated and most of all a heat related illness. The CDC offers the following tips for construction workers outside in hot temps:
- Drink plenty of fluids – 2 to 4 cups of water every hour. Do Not Wait Until You Are Thirsty!
- Avoid alcohol or liquids containing large amounts of sugar.
- Protect yourself from the sun – Wear and reapply sunscreen as indicated on packaging.
- Ask if tasks can be scheduled for earlier or later in the day to avoid the heat.
- Dress appropriately – Wear a brimmed hat and loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Cool down – Spend time in the shade or air-conditioned buildings during breaks and after work.
- Encourage co-workers to do the same.
- Seek medical care immediately if you or a co-worker has symptoms of heat-related illness.
Information from the CDC Click Here -> Extreme Heat and Your Health